It is recommended that ALL children see an Orthodontist by age 7. Although most children will not be ready to start treatment, the Orthodontist and your General Dentist will work together to develop your child’s arch which may eliminate the need for more difficult procedures later on.
Patients with a basic Denti-cal program will be eligible for Orthodontic coverage but must qualify with a HLD score of 26 points or more.
Patients with a managed care plans through the Denti-cal program, in some instances will not have orthodontic benefits. This can be solved by changing plans.
Those children with severe health problems and are qualified under the California Children’s Services* (CCS) will have orthodontic coverage, but must qualify with a HLD score of 26 points or more.
Healthy Families dental coverage may include orthodontic benefits through CCS* with a HLD score of 26 points or more.
* To apply for coverage with California Children’s Services you must start with your family dentist. Your General Dentist will send a referral to CCS for an orthodontic consultation. You will receive a written referral (permission) from CCS to come to our office for an evaluation. If a HLD score of 26 points or more is achieved we will start the process for approval to start treatment. (this process could take as long as six months)
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE HLD QUALIFICATIONS?
- The patient must have lost all primary (baby) teeth or be 13 years old and not over 21 years of age.
- HLD (Handicapping Labio-Lingual Deviation) index score of 26 points or more.
- Soft tissue damage apparently due to severe deep impinging overbite
- Overjet (overbite) greater than 9 mm.